2013年7月11日星期四

The making of lemonade

Date: 10th July 2013
Day: Wednesday
Time: 3:30-4:30pm
Class: Pomegranate
Theme: Colours
Teacher: Teacher Yeong

Making lemonade

Kwan Ming, Derek and Zhen Yuan wanted to share the yellow items that they brought. So we started off with the sharing session today.

Kwan Ming: A yellow car.
Derek: Dinosaur.
Teacher: Wow, it’s yellow. What’s the name of the dinosaur?
Derek: I don’t know.
Teacher: Anyone knows the name of this dinosaur? (The children gave all sorts of names and laughed at it. But all those answers were incorrect.)
Teacher: Why not you all go back and find out the name of the dinosaur and tell us on Friday.
Zhen Yuan: (He was holding a cartoon character from “Despicable Me”) Blah Blah Blah…
Teacher: Is that the name of this toy?
Zhen Yuan: I don’t know.
Teacher: Children, anyone knows that name of this toy?

Children: Banana…..Potato…. (the children were laughing again while saying this) The toy only know how to say “banana”, “potato”… (I have no idea about the name of the toys anyhow, it’s interesting for the children to share their things)





Jia Jia, Phoeon, Yu Xin brought each a lemon to school today. Three children out of the class couldn’t consume honey. Therefore, I changed the ingredients to sugar. Before we headed on to the making of the lemonade, we had an interesting discussion about the ingredients of lemonade.

Teacher: Can you guess the ingredients of making the lemonade?
Children: Lemon…..sugar…..honey (we cut out honey, so we opt for sugar)
Wei Lok: Flour.
Teacher: Flour? Is that the one that we used to bake cake? (Wei Lok nodded his head)
Therefore, I played a short and simple video about how to make lemonade for the children. Wei Lok laughed, “Haha, no flour.” There’s only 3 simple steps to make lemonade:

1) Squeeze the lemon
2) Add sugar
3) Dilute with water

Phoeon suggested those who brought the lemon will cut the lemon into half. The children agreed. Therefore we started by cutting the lemon into half. As we don’t have a juicer, I asked the children how we could squeeze the juice out from the lemon.

Children: With our hand…..hammer….(the children all laughed while saying that)
So, I got Jun Qian to try out with his hand. He said it’s very difficult to squeeze. Then I got him a fork and asked him to try again. I showed him how he could use the fork to twist and turn the flesh of the lemon to allow the juice to come out. He said it’s much easier by doing so.

One by one the children queued up and waited for their turns to poke the fork into the lemon and squeeze the juice out. At the same time, the children tasted the juice on their hand and commented that it’s so sour! Surprisingly, some said nice.

After that, I poured all the juice into a jug without the seeds. I started to add in 2 tablespoon of sugar and diluted it with some water. Unfortunately, it tasted so sour that I myself can’t take it too. So I added in some more sugar. The children counted together as I only add 2 tablespoon each time. With this repeating action until I got a balance mixture of taste. I asked the children how many spoon of sugar I have added so far. Children: “Thirteen.” Wow, the lemons are really sour. Lastly, I found some ice cube and put it into the mixture and our lemonade is done. The children were so excited and wanted to taste it immediately. Happily each of the children got their drink and that’s ended our class for today.

Note: With adult supervision and guidance

I squeeze.....

So much juice!!




没有评论:

发表评论